Thursday, October 31, 2013

High Place Safe Space

God, listen to me shout, bend an ear to my prayer. When I’m far from anywhere, down to my last gasp, I call out, “Lead me to the rock that is higher than I!” You’ve always given me breathing room, a place to get away from it all, a lifetime pass to your safe-house, an open invitation as your guest. You’ve always taken me seriously, God, made me welcome among those who know and love you.  Psalm 61:1-5

Sometimes I more easily relate to this passage of scripture than any other. I find myself seemingly far from shore, down to my last gasp. I become entangled in the things of this life and the next thing I know, I'm splashing around with my head barely above the water, doggy-paddling to say alive. In these moments, everything in the world seems to be fighting for my attention. Monster waves surround me in the form of papers to be written, exams to be taken, people to be loved, and plans to be made. 

But among the 30-foot waves, the downpour of the rain, and the crashing of the thunder that threatens to steal every ounce of my peace, I catch a glimpse of the coast in the near distance. I see the waves pounding against the shoreline, but I also see that there stands a rock on the shore that is untouched by the storm. It rises far above the reach of the waves and is formed in such a way that there is a niche to provide shelter from the rain. God, lead me to this rock that is higher than I!

Once I find myself in this place of shelter, the waves don't look as threatening as before. The freezing rain doesn't sting my skin as it falls from the sky. The thunder doesn't sound as intimidating muffled by the solid walls of the rock. It is easier to breathe in the safety of this sanctuary. There is a sense of safety that finds its way into my heart.

How foolish I would be to choose to remain exposed to the elements when this place of refuge has been made available to me. How foolish I would be to choose to splash around on the verge of drowning in a multitude of worldly demands when God is inviting me to take refuge in His arms. He has always given me breathing-room, a place to get away from it all, a lifetime pass to his safe-house, an open invitation as His guest.

Unfortunately, there have been moments I have chosen foolishness over shelter. Instead of retreating to His high place, I have tried to crawl back into my capsized boat and row my way out of the storm. It never works. I'm not strong enough to row fast enough to find my way out. It is only when I choose to run to the Rock that is higher than I that I find my safe space in the midst of life's most threatening storms. 

This high place, this safe space from the storm, is where you can find me today. Feel free to join me. He has room for the both of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment