Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Throwing Out Plan B

When I crawled out of bed at 11pm last night to grab my laptop and start writing, I thought this was going to go an entirely different direction. I have written, erased, and rewritten these first three sentences (and almost every sentence after these) about four times now and I am finally giving up my own ideas about what I am about to say. You and I are officially on a journey to hear from Jesus together, and I am just as curious as you are to see what he has to say.

We have all been taught the importance of having a backup plan. We have them for almost everything in life. In case of fire, take the stairs. In case of a flat tire, keep a spare in the trunk. In case of emergency landing, check under your seat for the cushion that doubles as a floatation device (this one always makes me really nervous). These kinds of backup plans are wise. If the building is burning down, you don't need to be standing in line for the elevator. If you blow out a tire, you don't need to ride the rim all the way to your destination. If your plane goes down in the Pacific, you really shouldn't rely on your 8th grade swim team skills to save you. All great things to take into consideration.

However, some backup plans can be extremely harmful to the plans of God on your life. Sometimes we use backup plans in the same way we would use emergency exit stairs, except there is no fire, only a fear of one. "Jesus… I am going to follow you wherever you may lead me. Unless of course it starts to look like I can't make a living off of that, so I'm going to get that second degree in mechanical engineering just to be safe." A few years later when the economy plummets and times get hard, the temptation is there to take the emergency exit and walk away from where the Lord has you in order to stabilize your financial situation without any regard for the fact that when the Lord calls a man, he provides for his every need. When we start to make our decisions based off of what we see and not what we have heard from the Lord, we end up on the path to Plan B, and Plan B can be a long, bumpy road when we are trying to pave the way for ourselves.

Sometimes our backup plans don't look like career paths, but something much more personal. However, no matter what our backup plans are for, they always have something to do with our control over our own situations. "Jesus… I know you are asking me to trust you completely in this situation. I know that you want to be the one to work it out from start to finish, but I am just going to keep my foot in that door in case you need help and I need to barge in and manipulate any part of this thing to make it go "our" way. I'm just here in case you need backup." Assuming that we recognize the irrationality of our "in case you need help" logic, Plan B signifies an area of the heart that is still resistant to trusting God. What area of our lives is so big that God is not capable to work out even the most complicated detail without a single strategy of our own?

Not only does Plan B rob Jesus of our trust in the moment, but it also comes back to stir up doubt in the years to come. When we make our own plans and pave our own paths, we will always be able to look back and question whether or not we did the right thing. When we stick with plan A, following the voice of Jesus all the way, there is no room left for questioning. He always does the right thing. When life gets really hard on the road to Plan B, there is no reference point to look back to that promises everything will work out in the end. When life gets really hard on the road to Plan A, I can still my heart, remember the moment that I heard Jesus whisper his plans, and know that it doesn't matter what I am seeing, because he is already waiting at the end of the road.

Here is the challenge to both you and I… Would we be so bold as to trash every Plan B in these seasons to come? Would we live our lives with a violent faith that says, "Jesus, if you don't come through, I'm not going through, because I am not deviating from the plans you have set before me." That seems like a really big risk, but it isn't like the risk of being stuck on the side of the road with no spare, or the plane going down without a floatation device. We already have the promise that he WILL come through. The hard part is in those moments or seasons when it does't look that way and everything is telling us otherwise. The hard part is when we wish we would have kept our foot in that door because we can't see how Jesus is possibly going to work out the situation without any help on our part. But friends, just hold on a few moments longer, because Plan A with Jesus has never failed… not once.

1 comment:

  1. Right on point.

    I have been studying the disciples, and this past months focus has been Paul In Philippians. What has impacted me about Paul, is that he is in no way, shape, or form a victim of his circumstances. So many of us would be quick to abandon God if we found our selves a prisoner, simply for following what we believed, but Paul does not only accept his circumstances, he gives them to God. He uses jail time as an opportunity to preach truth, and convert his jailers!

    If we accept that no matter what situation we are in, God has a plan and can use us, then plan B will never be an option.

    ReplyDelete